To me it looked like hypokalemia/potassium deficiency. I had a similar incident (though I was not sputtering as much as he did… granted no one tried to pour liquid down my throat while I was on my back) when my potassium was already low and then I was prescribed potassium depleting medications.
I was using an albuterol nebulizer treatment for a case of bronchitis (I have had asthma all my life and normally get bronchitis about once a year) and my hands went numb and started tingling and then they seized up and I could not move my arms from my elbows down. I was very calm because I figured I was just having a reaction to the albuterol (I had used two of my daughter’s vials since I couldn’t find mine so I figured I had too much albuterol or something) but the pharmacist told me to call an ambulance (I had to use my nose to dial the phone)
I arrived at the hospital and they checked my electrolytes when I told them all the medicine I was on and that I had a few drinks over the weekend and had gone on a run that morning (why I was using my albuterol when I got home), and my potassium levels were at 2.7. I was released a few hours later (after they have given me some K-Dur 20 and a prescription for it as well). My hands and arms finally relaxed about an hour into my ordeal.
When I saw this episode I immediately thought hypokalemia. He’s probably not taking care of himself like he should nutritionally and then all the deck hands seem to smoke. He also may have had low potassium to begin with and then he’s doing hard labor that he is not used to which is a great way to lose electrolytes.
Anyway, that was my guess. Hypokalemia.
June 1, 2012 at 11:31 am(2) Justanothermedic says:99.9% hyperventilation, seen enough cases over the last 21 years. Even a Podunk hospital in BFE Alaska would be able to pull some labs, including potassium. My guess is we never find out the correct diagnosis. Could you imagine them admitting all the lives they put at risk just because of an anxiety attack, smh.
June 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm(3) Jen Kelly says:It was a seizure. He apparently had a family history of seizure disorders, that he did not know about. Not epilepsy, however. Also stress was an issue and aggravated the condition. So there ya go.
Leave a CommentLeave a CommentName
No comments:
Post a Comment